View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #120 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
It'd be great if people made a habit of including speed info with MPG info as a rule of thumb.

It's the one big piece of the puzzle that helps other people put the MPG numbers in context.
+++++++++++++++1

I guess I could drive at an average speed of 20 MPH or less, but I might not survive the road rage from others who just would not understand my motives.

Most of my average speeds are in the low to mid 30s or higher. In some cases over 60 average.

While I care a lot about mileage, I think averaging between 50-55 MPh and getting 70 MPG is quite an accomplishment. While the car I used to do that is gone, I have a bike that will do that. My new car will probably never be competitive as far as highest mileage or highest percentage over EPA ratings, I enjoy driving it more than almost any car I have ever owned.

After 45 years of driving and over 200 cars, isn't that what its really all about.
Not to the point of disregarding mileage at all. My new car will probably average better mileage than the 59 Austin Healey Sprite did in the summer of 1968, but if I get in an accident, in spite of my best efforts to avoid one, my odds of surviving without injury are probably 1000 times greater.

regards
Mech