Thread: tuft testing
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Varn
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
I was reading about the Nissan Leaf headlights acting as splitters and small turbulators in other threads. A week or two ago I saw a blade from a large wind generator being hauled on the back of a truck It had turbulators about the same shape every foot or so about a 1/3rd of the way along the top edge of the wing surface. I did some more tuft testing on my wand. I noticed that on the top of the fender I was getting pretty laminar flow over the top of the fender pointing toward the rear view mirror.

I made three 1" high fins (cut from some 3/16" balsa wood that I had laying around) to act as turbulators and taped them on (about 15 degrees from the air flow) where I thought that the flow would intersect the mirror. I noticed that there was less air noise with the window open and that the air behind them had reduced velocity.

I need to finish my front of the wheel air deflectors and make another 20 wedges. I am going to put some in front of the wipers and at the top of the windshield.

"The reward of suffering is experience."
Harry S. Truman

“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”
Ayn Rand