View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #134 (permalink)
brucey
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
Success!

And failure.

Drove to the next town over to pick up the belt I needed, as nobody in town had it.
Fit it on the car, started it up. It spun! It was great. A little bit loose, but I couldn't get it more taught because the locking bolt on the alternator would start rubbing on the belt.

The first time I started it, the belt jumped a groove or 2 at the power steering pulley, so I turned it off and reset it. This time it didn't jump though.

So I decided to give it a test run, drove back home.

1 mile from my house I hear a thunk, my power steering goes out, and I know instantly what has happened.

Luckily, I had the original belt and tools still with me and just changed it back over in the first parking lot I saw.

*Sigh*

My brand new 5 rib is now a 3.5 rib belt, I decided to throw it on for ****s and giggles to see if I could replicate the problem without buying another 25$ belt, but it just instantly threw it as soon as the engine cranks.

The plan now is to move the idler pulley back down as close as possible to itself and hopefully give the P/S pulley room enough so it doesen't walk out. I'm thinking the PS pulley is where it walked out again and just tore itself up as I drove along.