View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
EdKiefer
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
When adjusting the cam gears on an engine its said you you shift the torque band higher or lower in respect to RPM. I often hear about advancing the exhaust, but what about the intake?

Does anyone have experience with dual cam gears? Id like to shift my torque lower down in RPM where I do the majority of driving, but would like to know how it turned out for others, is there a rule of thumb when advancing and retarding cams (advance one, retard the other), did you have positive results?

Are there any other factors that need to be watched for (reduce timing ect)?

If anyone has some experience Id love to read about it.

Thanks very much
don't have any specific experience with your engine but this might help .

Think of valve timing events(intake open/closing , exhaust open/closing) as if it was a SOHC (1 cam) , then split it up to what you want on each cam of DOHC .

Generally advancing SOHC (intake + exhaust) tends to optimize in lower rpm ranges .
when it comes to each cam more valve overlap at TDC =better high rpm and less overlap at TDC better at lower rpm ranges .

from my experiences the affects of say 4 deg advance are small affect but this depends on engine for sure .

Be careful with some interference engines on how much you change timing with adjustable gear (make sure you don't make valve to piston clearance to small ). Probably not a issue with small changes .

Last edited by EdKiefer; 09-30-2010 at 03:06 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to EdKiefer For This Useful Post:
Meph (09-30-2010)