View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I think technically it is here, locally. I'm not positive on that, so don't quote it.

I do, however, know that any motorized bicycle or pedalcycle in PA, is considered a motor vehicle, and must be registered and insured as such for legal operation on the streets and highways of this (not so) great commonwealth.

The only ones that don't require a motorcycle license are those 50cc or less, with a top speed that doesn't exceed 25MPH. They also can't be operated on highways. IF you read the definition of highway in PA, it's basically a paved/lined road that is maintained by the commonwealth.

There is no motorized version of an on-road vehicle which can be operated by anyone under 16 years of age, and they all require some type of license, at least a Class C automobile license, and insurance/registration.

Get this - If it doesn't have a title, it can't be registered in PA. If it's a bike you built, it doesn't have a title. You then have to file for a title and have your "custom vehicle" inspected by a certified mechanic, then submit paperwork to have it VIN'd. In order to do this, you must have an MSO and emissions certification for the motor or kit installed, at the minimum, including an inspection and certification from the mechanic.

And you thought GA's ruling was crappy?