View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #144 (permalink)
ShadeTreeMech
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Not a fan of the washer idea. It wouldn't seem like a thing that addresses the root problem(s).
Frank's logic is right on the money. A smooth idler perfectly lined up will not walk the belt.

Have you ever had to adjust the belt on a belt sander? Insanely small adjustments make a huge difference, and I think this is how you have to think. It is possible that a .005 inch shim in the right spot will make it work perfectly.

My suggestion is to find the happy spot by adjusting the e-charger at idle. Loosen up the mounting bolts bolts on the charger, and with the engine idling, AND TAKING CARE TO STAY AWAY FROM THE BELT (emphasis added on purpose!!!!!!!!!!!!!) move the charger motor around from the opposite end of where the pulley is while watching what the belt does in response to the movement. This will likely require a lot of patience, several restarts to adjust how tight/ loose the belt or mounting bolts are, and preferably an assistant to play with the gas pedal to test various adjustments on the fly. Having some metal shims of various thicknesses on hand will be very useful. And to save the belt, I'd tighten the idler just enough to make things move, but loose enough it can fall off harmlessly.

I'm betting there is a ever so slight missalignment, or possibly the mounting plate is flexing slightly causing a temporary misalignment. By shimming the e charger in the right spot you should be able to solve it.

Just don't give up! Once you figure it out you'll be glad you did, and you'll be able to pat yourself on the back for the sucessful installation of the Brucey E-Charger©!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.