View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #36 (permalink)
Varn
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
I don't completely understand the nomenclature but I understand 26g wire, distances and waterlogged connections.

My land line at home was verizon and they would not consider anything more than was already in place, I am 5.5 miles from their hub. A mile away the rural coop was running TV through their lines I could not pull more than 3kbs. My office is across the street from their switching terminal, I refuse to use their service as they are being prickly about extending their "good" coverage out from their hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilA View Post
Yep. We have one or two customers on 26AWG at 33,000'. That's cheating a little because we've got a line repeater in the circuit. That was pulling 2.6Mbit and 350k.
We have one or two customers at 21,000' and they have a fairly steady 1.5Mbit/512k running on reach-extended adsl2.

Over 90% of the time our DSL problems are in the last few yards of wiring.

Multi-core wire put into an auto-punchdown demarc (yeah, it has dialtone but the attenuation is so high because you're only just making contact with the wire), splitters into splitters into splitters.

The last thing we have trouble with is load coils on the lines. We've had a few that haven't shown up on the line test equipment, which is usually good down to the last few feet of wire to locate it. That really attenuates DSL. That and waterlogged crimp connections.

Like I'd said, and I think you'll agree, that's what you get when you push something over a line that was never designed for it.

That said, I'm currently running 16.5M down and 2.5M up over copper. I'm 3200' from the office.

--Phil

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787