View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #185 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Matt, you think two people can sit side by side in 3'-7"? My friend's Sonex airplane is about that wide -- it would be incredibly tight. And your drawing crams the legs of the front passengers in an around the front wheels. There is suspension parts that have to fit in there, too. I think that plan is unworkable.

You should start with the Dolphin -- it fits your criteria. ~17.3 sq ft frontal area, and I'd guess a Cd of ~0.15? (Open front wheels) That gives a CdA of ~2.6 sq ft; slightly better than the CarBEN. The Metro is a small 4 seat 2 door car to begin with, and Dave Cloud added 18" of foam in the nose. He chopped and lowered the roof (so less headroom than stock), and the back seat got significantly narrower (if there were no batteries there).

And I'll bet is about 17' long. For what it's worth, the Dolphin sans it's batteries is about 1,220 pounds, IIRC.

Where would you put the batteries? If you use the same EiG cells I am assuming, they are 10" x 5.5" x 0.375" -- how many can you fit? What about the fifth person?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/