View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #27 (permalink)
Nels
Saturn Driver

Peanut - '96 Saturn SL
90 day: 37.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
1) That thing behind the rear wheel sure is funky!
I'll get some better pics of that when I think of it. It is not really a fairing, but it seems to have some purpose in deflecting the air from the rear of the rotating wheel. Maybe it's just eye candy too.

Quote:
2) Regarding your front plate, if you MUST have it, you could relocate it further down for partial grille blocking.
I was looking at the license plate backing plate, and it seems it would be easy enough to drill a few holes in the mount to allow it to be mounted lower, using the original screw holes behind it. It would need some spacers, but they are easily made. I work in a machine shop. I can spin up some thick delrin washers to go behind it.

Quote:
3) Your deck lid spoiler is almost certainly there for reduced drag. You'll find very similar low profile spoilers on many eco-model sedans. (Guess: it promotes cleaner flow separation for reduced rear lift/turbulence).
It seems that way. I guess manufacturers are still unwilling to sacrifice trunk volume by rounding the tops of the deck lids more aggressively. They still want to leave that sharp corner back there to generate turbulence.

2011 Fiesta SFE sedan, 6-sp dual dry clutch Powershift transmission

Last edited by Nels; 10-04-2010 at 02:01 PM..