View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Too much of a good thing --15 minute gravity drop

I guess I'm lucky with the start of my commute, in that I drop from 7400' in elevation to 5800' in my first 9.5 miles every day. Right now on an average day I can touch the gas once if no one is around, just enough to get from a rolling stop to 30mph on one flat spot after a stop sign. If there's traffic, I usually have to use gas to get from 30-45 for a merge (mountain highway with a 45mph speed limit), but without traffic, I can roll up to merge speed fairly easily, just late in the ramp.

My question is just how much should I tempt fate with this gravity drop. It takes a good 15 minutes and that's a lot of time to waste with an idling engine. I want to start playing with EOC, but obviously with that big of a drop, I'm on and off the brakes for short pulses several times a minute with the twisty mountain roads. I saw the thread on adding a PVC vacuum reservior from 2008 and that's very tempting, but even if I extended my number of brake applications from 2 to 6 or 7, I'd have to recharge my vacuum every 1-2 minutes to maintain safe, solid brakes. Is it worth it? Are there any other alternatives, like maybe figuring out some kind of 12v vacuum pump? I just hate the idea of not taking advantage of this tremendous geographic advantage since I'm definitely paying for every drop of gas to get to the top of this mountain.