View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #139 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery View Post
I'm having a feeling that the tail is done!? And the real MPG numbers are coming in a positive note
Hi discovery,

Well, you're very close!

The extension has been on and off the car too many times to count, but not on the road as of yet.

I have lot's of pictures to post for the last three weeks of work, and once I can start driving with it, I'll post more pictures. The temperature is getting colder here in Wisconsin, so I am concentrating on continuing work until road worthy.

Right now the wood mounting system is a little on the heavy side at 7.5 pounds, so this is getting lightened in between other tasks, such as completing any fiberglass work, which is still going on. This nice thing is I can lighten the mount in the warmth of the basement compared to the cold garage, where all glass work is done. Almost forgot to mention; the extension is too big to fit into the house, so the only option is the garage.

I just glassed on some "hooks" for securing the wiring loom inside the extension and the wiring will run down convoluted tubing on each side of the tail to the old tail light locations. More hooks on the other side tomorrow night.

There is also some finish work regarding the underside of the tail which needs to be smoothed further before glassing.

I thought last weekend it would be on the car and running, but now it's this weekend. I just keep picking away, and don't want to rush things, as it quickly becomes a chore and losses the spontaneity and sense of satisfaction of the build.

Tail lights need to be soldered and mounted, but it is getting very close to being finished for this season.

Jim.

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 10-05-2010 at 11:14 PM..