View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
nmgolfer
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwboarder View Post
I too would love to see this in a normal car. I applied for a grant once to try and build a turbine car (out of a VW bug), but didn't get the grant I've been intrigued ever since though, as turbines run smoother (less vibration), with less parts and weight, more fuel adaptability, and higher efficiency. Using it to fuel an electric car seems to be even better too as the turbine could just spin at super high efficiency! Maybe use 2-100hp electric motors in the rear with one 20-40hp turbine supplying it... that would be a lot less weight than the jaguars huge electric motors, and turbines. I hope some car manufacturers are wondering the same thing. Do you think its just cost that is prohibitive? Or maybe the heat is still an issue?

Its been done... My co-worker in Seattle knew a guy who adapted a kerosine burning turbine JT somthing or other LOL... then there is the enigmatic Bob Lazar who has built at least two jet cars (Honda CRX's ) one of which was featured in the local paper when he was and employ at the meson physics facility at (then) LASL back in 1982.. And impressed Edward Teller so the story goes.

Bob's current business is here: United Nuclear - Hydrogen Fuel Systems

Anyway yes.... high power to weight ratio gas turbo-generators combined with electric vehicles would be an excellent marriage (low pollution with NOX production the issue). They could run on propane or N.G. or other liquid fuels (desiel) with slight mods.

About a decade ago (pre-melinium bug hysteria) there was a lot of interest in distributed generation using turbogenerators (not unlike the APU's which provide electricity on Jet Aircraft). Then Allied Signal (now Honeywell) had the Parallon 75 (kw) and Capstone in the LA area (which was former Allied Signal engineers I believe) has something similar. There was some talk of using them to power buses.

Neither took off for a variety of reason one of which being the Utilities (grid operators) not liking the idea of people producing their own power...

As for the heat... I don't think ceramics are quite there yet (but they might be) and they'd probably need inconel for the turbine or at least very good SS but I bet economy of scale could get the costs down.

Anyway... YES... I've long though the gas turbine (Brayton Cycle) is ideal for on-board recharging of E.V.'s It would be great to see