View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

I agree that electric cars will always be a niche market. I wholeheartedly disagree that it is for economic reasons though. America likes big cars with tons of horsepower that rumbles with a loud exhaust. And America wants a car that can go across the country on a whim, even though no one goes more than 30 miles in a day. That's why pickups are the number one seller. They serve absolutely no purpose during the lifetime they are owned, but hey, I might need to move the BBQ one day, and thus need to drive a 4x4 every day. America doesn't drive a car to get from one place to another, America drives a status symbol. Don't I look good with this Hummer wrapped around me? I need to keep my kids safe, that's why I commute by myself in this Expedition. An electric car is useless, because it might meet 99.9% of my needs, but if one day I decide to drive to Maine, my electric car won't do it. And when I pull up to a light, I can't rev the engine and blow a bunch of smoke out my tailpipe. And let's not forget, if I pull up to the "drive thru" (sic) at McDonald's, I'll never have the cashier ask me to turn off my car to take my order. What good is that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vpoppv For This Useful Post:
cfguy2000 (10-07-2010), Frank Lee (10-07-2010)