View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
It's about 13-15 minutes and about 9.5 miles. The first 3.2 miles is driveway filled, deer covered, twisty stuff, the rest is mountain highway until I get to the interstate where I have to start climbing for about 5 miles, and then have several .25-1.5 mile coasts all the way into work. The return trip only has the one 5 mile sustained descent, which is interrupted with several flats. I know if I could discipline myself, it really does provide an excellent hypermiling commute. I'm still struggling with driving slower after a lifetime of 70mph highway driving, but I understand that speed kills mpg.

I just received and installed my scangauge tonight and while I was picking it up from my P.O. Box, I started chatting with the owner of the store about hypermiling. I mentioned needing some PVC for covering my lower grill and he mentioned that he always had the material around for making business signs. One thing let to another and I walked out with a 6"x36" piece of 1/8" thick PVC that will perfectly cover my lower grill for free! Stopped by the hardware store on the way home, picked up a normally on momentary switch, some spades, an inline fuse, some steel for manufacturing brackets for the PVC, and I think I'm set for weekend projects. I'll call my Honda dealer and make an appointment for the block heater next week. I also cleaned out one side of the garage tonight enough to get the car in, so that should help a little in the meantime until I can get the heater. Of course, if I don't get another side cleaned out before the GF moves in, she'll get dibbs on it and I'll be back outside.

Last edited by endurance; 10-06-2010 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: so it made sense