View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
If the GVW of the trailer is 2000lbs then one of the VW TDI would be good; or something like that.
I was kind of wondering about a TDI golf, after all its a 2,700 pound car or so, so it's going to be pretty stable and 2,000 pounds is about as much as I could ever see towing, 2,000 pounds is the total weight of my electric car on a trailer for taking it to shows and events that are beyond it's range, it's also about the weight of a trailer full of gravel or dirt.
My civic VX does fine with 1,000 pounds behind it but I wouldn't want to try much more then that with a 1,900 pound car.
I've seen alot of Jeeps that are jacked up with big tires, that is not what I was thinking, the stock ones with stock size tires tend to sit pretty low, they look to have a full frame instead of a unibody and like I said, if they are not jacked up with big wheels they look to be pretty stable and have an EPA of 20mpg with a gas engine, altho 120hp where the TDI golf is 90hp but with more torque then the gas Jeep...
So maybe a TDI would be the way to go, 42-49mpg without a trailer would make it a good 2nd vehicle for people like me who's other vehicle is an electric car so you get the towing ability and good highway miles and only use it for that.