View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #168 (permalink)
JackMcCornack
EcoModding Apprentice

This is pretty embarrassing. I bought an automotive GPS two days before I left for Pennsylvania, and wow was it fantastic! I wasn't in much of a hurry, so I set it for "shortest route" instead of "quickest route" and it took me on some fun and lovely side trips.

And then, at 2:30AM, I couldn't sleep (too cold) so I left Lakeview, Oregon, following my GPS, and it led me up a dirt road, up a mountain.

You probably know where this story is going.

Coming down the other side, the dirt road got significantly worse, eventually turning into a National Forest Road, or "fire trail" as the forest service folks call them--but the GPS said this was the shortest way to Pennsylvania, so I stuck with it. Here's a picture of me high centered, around 4AM.

A deputy sheriff fished me out of there with a winch, a little after dawn. The dispatcher said (between guffaws) that I wasn't the first person to follow his GPS in there, but he did credit me with getting deeper into the forest than anybody else this year. All the officers involved were amazed that I got there in a sports car, much less a 2-1/2 foot tall sports car.

But before that, I was cruising at better than 80 mpg.