Thread: Lupo 3L
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

I like the LUPO (and Arosa) especially the TDi and Lupo 3L. A little bit like the BlueMotion Polo the extra cost of a 3L over a 'normal' TDi didn't seem worth it at the time. I passed on a Lupo TDi about 5 or so years ago, only 18 months old but 140K miles - seemed high to me.

The Citroen C1 with a combined MPG of just under 70 looks like a reasonable continuation of the theme. They are light though (890 kg compared to 1055 for a Ford KA). Although it doesn't have an auto gearbox and isn't as well made overall as the Lupo / Arosa - bits just apparently wear out or fall off making it tricky to consider one used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest John
Water leaks into load area via extractor vent. Have also been water leaks into load area and rear via misfitted rear door and hatch seals or rear light seals. More leaks reported through radiop aerial seal and passenger door seal.

'Whirring whine' from 1.4HDI may be failing timing belt tensioner, which is a roller bearing device like the idler pulley, but with a reddish rubber/nylon damper. Gates cambelt kits include this part. Wise also to replace waterpump which it driven by the timing belt.

Water pump failures common at about 3 years old.

One report of a transmission oil leak on an Aygo (same car).

Exhaust back boxes may only last 2 years before rusting through.

Reports of leaking waterpumps on 1.0 petrol engines.

Clutches seem to let in water, leading to surface corrosion and premature wear. Can last as little as two and a half years. TSB to replace 180mm clutches with 190mm clutches. See recalls.

Rear wheel brake cylinders prone to failure. One case after 4 years and 4,000 miles. Another just 2 months from new.

On 5 door models the glue holding the rear door windows to the hinge eventually fails and the windows fall out.

Well used key operated drivers door and boot doorlocks may only last just over 3 years.

Cat converters may also fail after 2 - 3 years.

Reports of power steering failures at 3 - 4 years old, costing £650 for a new motor, though may have been caused by drivers burning out the motor by holding it on lock.
I'm tempted but I feel I would end up 'debugging' it quite a lot before it was reliable.