Thread: Lupo 3L
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Unheard
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Dunno if your reference "hydraulics" also meant to include the auto transmission, but the Lupo and A2 3L versions have been plagued with transmission problems.
This is not really just a 3L problem many lupos have transmission problems as do the mk4 polos. Its mainly due to oil leaks. My sport is on 63k miles and been driven ard on the gears yet the transmission is fine i have looked after it and expect it to still be sweet past 100k. The transmission issues on the 3L will obviously be exacerbated form a failing with the hydraulics. The standard VWs also suffered from failing gearboxes due to the very very prevalent failing pedal box. I was aware of this issue with the car so when it happened to my sport i knew exactly what was happening and sorted the car before putting any strain on the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
The new Polo Bluemotion comes very close in fuel consumption (3.3 L/100 km versus 3L/100km for the Lupo), though it's a lot bigger and far safer.
That was exactly my point VW will never make a car that is such like a concept car. They did not rush to market with another car like the 3L after it finished production. Instead the blumotion range is far closer to the standard models gaining the most efficiency without the need for radical changes, Its proves just how they have made the standard models efficient in the first place. The lupo as a base car was not the most obvious choice for an aerodynamic car so it amazes me what they managed to achieve with it.

In reality the Polo Bluemotion still cannot achieve the return the 3L does as the 3L is very capable of over 100mpg but as you say the polo is a bigger car. This is the good thing about VWs approach to eco cars they do not want to compromise and the 3L gave them the chance to see what worked and what did not in the long term.

There is no question about it there are failings with 3L but being a lupo owner prior to getting the 3L it meant i was very aware of the car. Every car has design faults but if your aware of them then its not such an issue as you can take steps to reduce faults happening or know what is in order when they happen. For all the failings there are many more plus points.

You have to keep in mind this car came out 11 years ago and many of the hydraulic problems only appear at higher mileage. My father has put many miles on each car he has had over the last 10 years and its almost expected there will be some big expense by the time they hits 100,000k - 150-000k miles and they are larger cars . Much of the issue is more VWs approach to the problems and cost of fixing them that prohibits people from getting them sorted early on when signs appear. They do not offer repairs or reconditioned units and instead demanding to replace the whole thing at vast expense as is the way with dealers. For all the things i love about VW their customer service and after-care is certainly not one of them they have a pretence but its not backed up. In the early days of owning my lupo sport i though it best to go to VW untill i the penny doped and i figured out they are fitters not mechanics. They could not detect problems that i was telling them existed
saying the car was fine. I took it to an independent all issues were found sorted and cost less than VWs diagnostics that was worthless.

Usually you can go to other garages to get cars fixed but with this transmition it was not understood. Now i have done all the research i can see how its not as complicated as it first appears to be.

VWs customer service would stop me form getting a brand new VW. If i get another VW it will always be second hand out of warranty. I undertake 90% of the required work on my cars. Nothing about the 3L worries me.

The main reason i wanted to put up information about the car is not so i can wax lyrical about it as being the perfect eco car but instead help others learn form what was achieved by VW. There is a lot of insight to be gained just from reading the self study alone. As i have the car i can hopefully answer any questions in a little more detail if anyone wishes to ask.

The 3L does not have a radical boat tail, huge air-dam or any other feature that would make it stand out as being anything other than a regular car but to the lay person yet the cd is very low.

Its sounds obvious but this car really hi-lights that doing a little to the body that works well is far more beneficial than doing a lot that is not very effective despite looking like it would be.