Thread: Gasifiers...
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
gasman
EcoModding Lurker

bookmarked

I've spent some time lurking on the gek site as well. There are a number of things I'm keeping in mind from those type projects (mostly the types of small tech problems I must solve on the way).

I'm sure there is a lot of useful info there that I could use. Thanks for linking it.

You've reminded me of one of my intentions behind this project that I'd like to share. I would very much like to do this project (whichever one... or both) while keeping as close to the following as possible: Using materials that I already have (from tools, to scrap, to fuel), build a fuel source for an engine/vehicle that I already have. I say this because anything I buy or commission is, by its very nature, using energy (i.e. is wasteful) to produce. I'm trying to impact the environment (and, secondly, my wallet) as little as possible.

Trash is plentiful, but creating a demand for it defeats a major purpose of my project (though I can certainly gain knowledge from such designs). Paper comes from trees... which are generally live before being felled (harvested) for their wood and paper. And the last thing I want is to have some incentive to buy more paper products. Plastics are mostly (all?) from already-sunk (fossil) carbon deposits that have been resurrected to poison the environment. The story is similar with other trash items. While it would be cost-effective, it adds to general poisoning of the environment (more harm than good). Using plastics (for example) in such a manner masquerades itself as a solution to the problem of plastics, where it really is nothing of the sort. In fact, it would decrease negative perceptions of such things, thus increasing their impact further. Don't get me wrong, those solutions would be better than using gasoline as I currently am, but I would rather try to find a carbon-neutral, and environmentally friendly solution.