View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
rgathright
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beauty - '09 Honda Accord EX-L
90 day: 27.44 mpg (US)
Thumbs down Breaking news! Chevy volt technically driven by gas engine!

The Great Chevy Volt Hybrid Mishap Explained
The Great Chevy Volt Hybrid Mishap Explained - KickingTires

As many of you already know, I was excited about owning the first Chevrolet Volt in my hometown. I built a solar power plant at my house and was prepared to pay the estimated $45,000 price tag because I had the belief that owning an electric car was the right thing to do. Fundamentally, electric cars have fewer parts which equates to less maintenance and lower cost of ownership per mile.

My mood changed today after reading the referenced article above. Specifically, it points out that the gasoline engine is an integral part of the Chevrolet Volt design. As we can all assume, that means GM's announcements about an all electric Volt were false. Worse this means we will have to contend with many moving parts and maintenance will be a nightmare.

Why did we bailout GM? One of the reasons, is at the time, many people thought they were going to produce an electric car to solve the acute gas crisis.

Thanks for reading and pass this on to anyone you know that was interested in an ALL AMERICAN electric car. Turns out it was just a marketing scam similar to Enron.

The Following User Says Thank You to rgathright For This Useful Post:
tjts1 (10-11-2010)