View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 04:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
saand
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
ZeroHour, The antenna was already removed, Since my last post i have mounted it inside my cabin instead of my length of random wire. I now can pick up more radio stations however not all of them. This is expected though since the antenna is inside the cabin which shields some of the signal. I am still interested to have a DIY antenna since the stock car antenna in the cabin just looks very wrong.

ConnClark thanks for your reply, good to hear from someone with detailed knowledge about antennas.
When matching the impedance of the antenna to the radio is that only the impedance of the wire between the antenna and the radio or is the antenna specifically constructed to have an impedance. Naturally at 100 MHz there will be reflections in the signal wire if the impedances are not matched. But I am not sure how an antenna (as in the piece of wire of a particular length and geometry) will be of a specific impedance.
Also im an electronic engineer so feel free to get a bit technical about the subject

BigDave,
I did a test a while ago with the antenna up compared to down and the improvement level was in the noise so i didn't post the results. I would have to believe it would provide some improvement because the antenna is no longer in the wind but other than that i dont have any test results for you. I could estimate less than a 0.5 % improvement, anyone doing a simulation of the drag would be able to give you a better estimate of the improvement but personally i am happy with any improvement.