Thread: Gasifiers...
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
gasman
EcoModding Lurker

thanks for the input

@ Phantom. Yeah, that has actually been one of the major draw backs for me. But with where I'm living now, and my job, I have to drive a while to get anywhere. Most everything is about 1 hour away now (including work). I rarely drive to anything closer than 30 mins. So now, finally, it is becoming worth it to have a gasifier And regarding the starters, I have a few ideas like that. I think I'll probably end up keeping a propane tank with a torch (small flame-thrower) attachment that are normally used for starting camp fires. It would be quick, and would probably last for a few dozen starts between fill-ups (from the main propane tank). It would just be a matter of walking 20 ft., filling up the tank, then putting it back in my truck. But there are other solutions I'm considering as well. But that bridge is quite a way away, though.

@ Old Mechanic. Fascinating story. I first found out about gasifiers from researching WWII. I just had to find out what those contraptions where on the backs of those vehicles! lol

From what I've read, storing wood gas is dangerous (the gases separate, which could cause major problems). So all gas produced would have to be used within seconds. (It is worth noting, however, that I'm researching means to separate the gases and store them for future use, in extra commercial gas tanks. But that's another project. ). Tars are a major concern of mine. They all break down eventually if heated up enough, for long enough periods of time, so I plan to modify designs to take that into account. I can sacrifice a little efficiency for cleaner fuel. Perhaps I will modify the burning chamber to get hotter for longer, and/or modify or add a fuel cleaner in the line. Many substitute filtering mechanisms (wet saw dust, for example) with cyclones... but I just don't trust cyclones (though I might have both ). After all, it is a full-size truck, not a hatchback. I have a some room to work with

As far as the FI goes... I haven't researched that much yet. I may have to add a turbo or something to compress the gas just before it enters. But I really don't know yet. I really do need to start researching that, though, as it could easily make or break the whole project.

@ bennelson. I'm dling the vid now, and I'll check it out later. It look promising. I would very much like to keep my truck as close to pumpgas-ready as possible. F-150's (of my gen) have 2 fuel tanks (and thus, fuel systems), and I might be able to modify it to where I can go back to gas with very little work. I'd love to use the existing fuel system swap switch (which turns on/off fuel pumps, and swaps input) and just add another switch or two that turn on/off the gasifier inputs or any related devices. But I need to do more research on gasifiers with FI to know if that's even possible, though.

@ endurance. Unfortunately, you are absolutely right that I will have to find some way of keeping the demand for fuel as close to supply as possible. This goes for everything from design of the gasifier to match the needs of my engine, down to driving style. As a matter of fact, you are ever more right than you realize. If demand falls, supply falls, and fuel can become dirty, and lots of other issues. That is because it is actually the engine "sucking" gases through the system that keeps it going (and hot enough to break down the tars and whatnot into clean, combustible fuels). Batteries are expensive, heavy, and would require some extreme mods, so atm I'm not seriously pursuing that route.

The idea I'm toying with right now is keeping fuel demand constant using a blower, regardless of actual engine demand. The plan involves a blower controlled by a potentiometer (which is attached to a fuel pipe and has a spring and a plunger that adjusts the potentiometer based on pressure in the pipe). So, when pressure is too high (actual engine demand from engine is low) the blower speed is increased, to keep the demand from the gasifier more-or-less constant). The unused gas with be vented to a tube in a safe place that has a valve with a spring (self-adjusting). It will probably be burned off somehow. Yeah, it is wasteful, but I won't have to keep my engine at a zillion RPM just to keep the fuel flowing, and I can just drive (more) normally. I need a blower in the system anyway, so it isn't much of a stretch to modify it to work with this function as well (in theory, anyway). Of course, I'm absolutely open to ideas on this and everything else, though.

again, thanks for the input people

The more I think about it, the more I think I should build a smaller one for a standalone electric generator first (but the I keep thinking... time is money, and another month is another $250-$300 I could have saved... ugh lol)