View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #99 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Posted by Oliver Kuttner on Facebook:

Quote:
1; In the shop we are working on the Version 3.5. It is essentially an X Prize car using a normal powertrain. This car will be powered by the standard gasoline engine from the Smart. The engine is too big. The transmission layout design... is typical FWD Transverse unit , which we consider clumsy in our application. Nevertheless it will be a VLC powered by an existing engine. The car will give us direct data to compare the impact of using the VLC inside method with a regular engine. We look forward to sharing what we will learn.

2; We have ordered the electric motors according to the TW4XP protocol. They will be custom made in Germany and we expect to start work on the electric VLC in end November. This car will break all the records.

3; I had a pleasant experience at the opportunity green conference in Los Angeles. Highlights include meeting Chris (the producer / Director of "Who killed the electric car". He is sharp and funny. There is a sequal coming : "The revenge of the electric car". After the panel discussion he made a comment that I considder a great compliment of which I am proud: He said "Oliver you are clearly the lion in the room." Actually it is a pack of lions, my team.

4; We were awarded the first ever Borg Warner innovation award given outside the company. This is an old company with 14000 employees around the world. This is a company that thrives on quality engineering in the post combustion realm of the ICE and in smarter power transmissions (think VW [double] clutch systems for example).
We ran their variable vein Turbo and they very much hold the same opinion toward smaller more stressed ICEs for the future.
Borg Warner also built the power transmissions in the Aptera and Zap who also got an award.

5; I got a long drive in the Aptera. It is a very nice car. For all the negative blog posts I have read they are the fools. Aptera is doing its job and they are designing and building an ever better car. In the end they are on the right side of physics and it will show. The car is very nice (even for this 6 foot 4 old German).

6; i met T Boone Pickins yesterday and there is a man with a plan.
We all need a plan. He is right. More in the next days.

We all as a nation must stand behind those who try.

I have an exciting weekend coming up and will write more soon
I may even own a facility next week?
Regards to all and thank you for your support.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/