View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #29 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Well, after a a week with the Scangauge I've learned a lot. First off, I've been simply using DFCO for braking and brake assisting on my gravity drop and letting the engine idle while coasting. When I start the car cold in the morning I'm using 1.3 gallons per hour, which eventually drops down to .27-.43 depending on what accessories I have running. I quickly added a lower grill block because I found that even when I started with a warm engine (177F), using DFCO intermitenly with engine on coasting and the cool outdoor air I could watch the temperature drop to 152F by the bottom of the hill. If I started with a cold engine, it would never make it up to 150F, no less full operating temperature. Now with the grill block and outdoor air temps near freezing, it is managing to get up to and stay in the 155-175 range.

I discovered there isn't a block heater available for the car (the only one manufactured only fit the 02 RSX and was discontinued in 04 or 05), so I'm going with a lower radiator hose heater. It'll be an easier install anyway. What about a magnetic oil pan heater, too? Redundant?

Also on the list now is a garage door opener. The garage has too big of a lip at the door to push it out safely (risk getting my legs chopped off if I'm in the door and pushing), so I have to start the car, drive out, turn off the car, get out, close the door, get back in and then bump start it going down the driveway. Seriously not worth the hassle...

I paid for three days of access to the Honda Helm site to download all the wiring diagrams I need to cut off either the fuel supply or the crankshaft position signal. It'll probably be a week or two before I can get the time to do it, but it's on my list.

I also picked up a used vacuum pump on e-bay for $20 and with a PVC vacuum storage canister, I should be able to have plenty of full power braking for EOC mountain driving when DFCO isn't the best technique. It'll be a winter project I'll get to sometime.

Also, I'm considering going with LED lighting to save my battery some. Still seeking out viable headlight options, but I used to build my own bike lights for 24 hour mountain bike racing, so I suspect I'll end up creating something on my own (my last light build put out over 730 lumen, but could go for over to three hours on one relatively small lithium battery). I have plenty of high output LEDs just sitting around. I also have my metal mill if I really want to get medieval on it.

Overall, I just wanted to say thanks for all the input. My last tank was my best tank ever (36.5mpg) and while I've been struggling with this tank because of a couple of hideous commutes (rushhour traffic snarls), I'm still probably managing over 32mpg (can't trust the scangauge mileage yet, as I haven't calibrated it with a full tank cycle yet). I've definitely gone down the rabbit hole and I have you guys to thank.
The Following User Says Thank You to endurance For This Useful Post:
user removed (10-14-2010)