View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #163 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Sure - look at my fuel log and do the math yourself. you don't have to take my word for it.

I was getting 55mpg on the E0 and 46mpg on the E10 (IIRC)

lets do some math.
10 gallons at 46mpg gives me 460 miles
9 gallons at 55mpg gives me 495 miles

thats 35 MORE MILES on a GALLON LESS.

Even at 47mpg thats 470 miles on 10 gallons at 48 480 at 49 thats 490

so with as small as a 5.5mpg difference I can go FURTHER on the 9 gallons without ethanol than the 10 gallons WITH ethanol and I was seeing FAR bigger than 5.5 mpg differences.

and those fills were as perfect as humanly possible. I filled to the top of the neck and measured to a half a cup in accuracy what fuel I put in and I was pushing to nearly 500 miles between fills for those tests !!

Once I find some good glass containers I plan to do more long term testing but right now its very labor intensive.

or if I happen upon enough cash just go BUY a bunch of E0 but to make it worth my while to drive that far for it I need at least $250 worth of fuel and I just don't have that kind of cash.

This is not about energy content. this is about WRONG fuel for the engine.

NOW the following is NOT factually know. this is the current GUESS by me and others online about what is happening and its not my idea.

We suspect that the ethanol is NOT LIGHTING in the cylinder. The gas is. the flame front from the gasoline burning then "burns" the ethanol but its now LATE and you end up with two competing flame fronts out of sync inside the cylinder.

why do we suspect this? someone came on the forum (another forum) with problems using E10 in a 2004 or 2006 Hybrid (the suv one)

he was seeing a nearly 27% drop in fuel economy going to E10 like we were !! he took it to the dealer and the result stunned us.

they fixed his car. he now only saw the expected 4-5% drop in FE. he claims the explanation the dealer tech gave him was that the ignition system was programmed wrong and was not firing a "hot" enough spark to properly burn the ethanol. when the programmed in the correct hotter spark the problem went away.

this is what lead us to believe is a burn problem with the ethanol. IE if I could figure out away to make my metro "spark" hotter it might recover a lot of FE on ethanol.

Last edited by Nerys; 10-14-2010 at 04:27 PM..