View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
Niner
EcoModding Lurker

Niner_xA - '05 Scion xA
90 day: 35.82 mpg (US)

Horse Hauler - '95 Ford F-250 XLT
90 day: 13.47 mpg (US)

Butterkup - '02 Mazda Miata
I think you're following the wrong black/white wire. From the ignition switch going right, take the upper black/white wire. That goes through a little square box labeled 8(IG1) and then breaks into 4 wires (passing through octogons that represent junctions), and then into devices that look like little coils (the injectors), and then into the ECU.

The boxes that also hook into the other black/white wire are the spark ignitors. Those do have an internal relay, so they will be pretty low power, but you'd still be spraying gas into the engine until the ECU figured something was wrong.

However, you could use a normally closed switch for the injectors. They're not terribly high current - the wire appeared to be 16 or 18 GA, but current across that wire could go up to a few amps. I'm using a microswitch that's rated in hundreds of milliamps because I couldn't find an NC switch at the local Radio Shack above 1 amp. Of course, if you order online, finding something the right size or oversized should be easy.