View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #182 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
When gas was 90 cents a gallon?

Lets assume you bought the Cherokee new, since you really did not answer my simple question.

Lets also round off your mileage at 500k and your mileage at 21 MPG.

23,809 gallons of fuel.

Now lets assume the average cost of fuel was $2.00 per gallon.

$47,618.

Double your average mileage and save $23,809 over that period of time.

I have no choice but to use E10. The closest station with E0 is Washington DC, 180 miles from here.

In spite of that you can see I am getting pretty good mileage in the vehicles I am driving.

In fact the fuel cost calculations I just made using assumptions (for lack of facts) mean you have spent more money on fuel in one vehicle than me and my wife have spent for every drop of fuel we have purchased since we were married in 1989.

Possibly more money than we both have spend driving in our lifetimes.

The same economy you strive to achieve today was a part of my calculations when I bought a new 1984 Honda CRX that averaged 44 MPG for 50k miles, and gas was cheap then.

I think you have made your point about ethanol, and I actually agree with most of your conclusions. To minimize the losses due to Ethanol you need to have a knock sensor and advanced timing to allow the higher octane to help mitigate the mileage loss.

I'm done here.

I hope you continue to strive to get healthier and use a lot less fuel. It's sad that when times were good you did not anticipate that they might end, or you could have saved and better invested money for the bad times. That is what my wife and I did, and many of our friends thought we were crazy to not spend as fast as we earned.

They are not laughing now.

regards
Mech

The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (10-15-2010)