View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #184 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
yes it is. Your missing my point. The analogy is comparing energy content to MPG.

Your proclaimed my results did not make sense because there is energy in the ethanol so how could it go LESS than without the ethanol at all.

I needed to give you an extreme obvious example. Well your car can't run on diesel can it? no of course not.

well mine is not "that" bad it obviously DOES run on ethanol just "not as well" so much so that trying to burn ethanol in it INTERFERES with its normal function to the point of degrading performance to that level.

Pick another fuel.

Hydrogen, Butane, Propane, Natural Gas - all of these WILL burn in our normal gas engines. Our spark plugs WILL ignite all of these.

but your not going to get very far on any of them because our engines were NOT designed to operate on them and all of these burn EASIER than ethanol does.

We are not driving high compression spark ignition engines.

We are driving run of the mill old used spark ignition engines not race cars with 12:1 or better compression ratio's that love alcohol.

NOW as I said it was a guess on our part but it "fits" the results. I go further on 9 gallons of gasoline (ethanol removed and thrown away) than I do on the full 10 gallons of gasoline with ethanol.

This is a fact. I have and can test and show this repeatedly. I can duplicate these results every single time without fail.

I can show it with historical data on my other vehicles as well

Minivan 28mpg. Except one time when I went up to the mountains and got 26mpg I HAVE NEVER EVER gotten less than 27-28mpg in that van. Not one time that I can recall pre ethanol.

Post Ethanol I CAN NOT get better than 21mpg no matter how hard I try. Lets do some math. (and note its very HARD to get 21mpg but lets use that anyway)

On 10 gallons of E10 I can go 210 miles
On 09 gallons of E00 I can go 252 miles

My Jeep cherokee. 22mpg consistant average over 250,000 + miles

On Ethanol 18mpg is my average. 16 is my normal but lets use 18 to be conservative.

On 10 gallons of E10 I can go 180 miles
On 09 gallons of E00 I can go 198 miles

My Club wagon. Normal around home driving 19mpg - now I average 13 mpg. I can hit 17 on e10 but only on EXTREME highway driving (is semi surfing never dropping below 65 for 500+ miles except to stop for gas) previously I would hit 21 doing this.

On 10 gallons of E10 I can go 130 miles
On 09 gallons of E00 I can go 171 miles

The van REALLY hates E10. it was one of Ford's early EFI's which might be part of the reason (its a 92)

My Dad and my Mom both have Chevy Lumina APV

Previously they got 25 and 26 mpg respectively. so to keep it simply I am going to use 25.5 mph

Now 21 is the absolutely max either can get. Period. Even when I drive it I can not seem to break 21mpg.

On 10 gallons of E10 I can go 210 miles
On 09 gallons of E00 I can go 229 miles

This is repeatable consistent reproducible results on every single car we have driving on E10.

This means Ethanol is NOT cleaner is NOT cheaper is NOT greener and saves not one single penny. in fact it costs a small fortune to use.

and thats not even counting the cost (both ecologically and financially) of PRODUCING the stuff. this is just USING it.

The point is comparing energy content only works when BOTH FUELS ARE FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH THE CARS SYSTEM :-)

My contention is ethanol is NOT fully compatible. it makes the cars run WORSE so much so that its worse than not at all.