View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #195 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
seriously though. Think about it. you have $1500 you need a car right now. not a month from now but "this week"

You need something that works. Thats $1500 that won't bankrupt you next week in repairs and that will pass inspection.

at least in MY area the area around philadelphia your just not very likely to find an econo car that meets these criteria.

but your gonna fine an awful lot of small trucks SUV's etc.. that meet these criteria.

while its going to cost you more in gas in under a year you get to pay that OVER A YEAR not "all at once" which is not possible no matter what the savings are.

When I started looking for an econo car the best I could find was $1200 for a 1976 300D and that was a risk (the car ended up being VERY reliable I got lucky)

Alas it maxed out at 35/36mpg and I wanted 45mpg or higher. I ended up trading it for an 82 Goldwing :-) and then I traded my "backup" $400 1975 300D (I tend to buy cars in pairs yes 2 cherokees 2 Things 2 Vans etc.. etc..) for a Boat :-)

I have found my share of good deals. Traded a miltop for a 3 bike trailer got an 82 Silverwing for $100 (no title working on it) and another miltop for an 89 Ninja 600R (not running working on that too)

Got a 27ft Sailboat with trailer for $150 this year I finally got a motor for it 9.9 Long Shaft electric start for $350 (go look those up on craigslist thats a freaking steal) so next spring I should have that in the water finally :-)

Hell tomorrow I found myself a 2 man Auger for $50 !! yeah I have been stalking one of those for months now :-) $1100 new !!!

We spent $200 in rental fees renting one from Home Depot to put up a fence at work. Never have to pay that again :-)

I love craigslist. Oddly enough most of it would not have been possible without my Metro and my $50 micro trailer :-) many of my finds would have been far to expensive in gasoline to go get !!