View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #118 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
note also in that link, the generator itself can receive 16hp from the engine, but puts out 6500 watts, that makes just the conversion of rotary motion to electrical power step 54% efficient and it hasn't even moved the car yet.
The conversion of rotary power to electrical power is NORMALLY much more efficient than that, what isn't is that 16hp motor. I would guess that the 16hp doesn't even make it to the shaft and the 16hp is probably never used (or possible to attain) because of the RPM the generator operates at is not at peak HP for the engine. There is much more to this than meets the eye. Yeah I get 16hp at 5000rpm but the genset operates at only 3600rpm. Also a small AC genset usually (not always) is less efficient than a comparable DC genset, I have a feeling the DC units are likely more expensive and likely made a little better.

Which is why a PROPER high efficiency single output turbine RUNNING a high efficiency DC genset would likely improve fuel economy rather than reduce it.
I simply cannot believe that a 40-50% eff. motor running a 90-96% eff genset is going to perform as poorly as a 17% eff. small gas engine running an 85% eff genset. And yes turbine engines show up all the time on the gov liquidation auctions, usually not very expensive either because they are stand alone without much usefullness.

Next
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Driver View Post
Let's say this is planned out, One output speed, could be tied to a small range, say 60-65mph. One power level, we could fix the throttle to its most efficient point to provide this. Couldn't we?

This would be for a long ranger EV. I've thrown the thought around of having a 100 mile EV without any additional power sources but driving it to Madison,
I cannot understand what everyone fascination with making a range EXTENDER into a steady state driving apparatus. My feel is that the genset should never be large enough to run the car. I want to extend my range in certain circumstances, not make it unlimited. Even if the genset can only output 1/3 of the power I need that increases the distance I can drive by 33% (50miles wan't uncommon for me,another third is 66miles) if I have a charge controller to maintain constant output (no overload)
Also a genset that can output a fraction of what is needed to run the car will still recharge the batteries when I am coasting, at stop signs or potentially in a parking lot, meaning I still likely can travel a good ways if required. Also a smaller genset is lighter and not going to significantly impact my range in of itself.

And in my case my car is 1200lbs and can't go faster than 55mph anyway, so the amount of power I would need is significantly less.

Cheers
Ryan