View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #43 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
1/2 gl at idle is normal. You can find this in RV sized generators or about any automobile. It's practically a rule-of-thumb number for an IC engine. On the 325-mile commutes I was making twice-monthly last year I could watch my accumulated mpg drop by as much as this in just 1/2-hour of diesel high idle (keep oil pressure up, alternator cranking and A/C ice cold) at the 200-mile mark during a truck stop lunch break.

I have also used this figure for calculating fuel burn in the event of coastal evacuation ahead of a hurricane. The better, more reliable number is probably 3/4 to 1-gl per hour in stop-n-go traffic where one occasionally, maddeningly, slowly makes progress on the Interstate (for those who can't map read). The ironic upshot was that the 40-gl capacity Suburban was/is a FAR better choice than the tee-ninesy Prius . . it's all about fuel capacity. In other words, what is your "range" at 5-15 mph and 1-gph fuel burn?

Thanks for the info above about air dam length. I'd been wondering about the cost/benefit ratio.