View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #125 (permalink)
MN Driver
2000 Honda Insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I cannot understand what everyone fascination with making a range EXTENDER into a steady state driving apparatus. My feel is that the genset should never be large enough to run the car. I want to extend my range in certain circumstances, not make it unlimited. Even if the genset can only output 1/3 of the power I need that increases the distance I can drive by 33% (50miles wan't uncommon for me,another third is 66miles) if I have a charge controller to maintain constant output (no overload)
Also a genset that can output a fraction of what is needed to run the car will still recharge the batteries when I am coasting, at stop signs or potentially in a parking lot, meaning I still likely can travel a good ways if required. Also a smaller genset is lighter and not going to significantly impact my range in of itself.

And in my case my car is 1200lbs and can't go faster than 55mph anyway, so the amount of power I would need is significantly less.

Cheers
Ryan
You might need to reread or reconsider my post. I was discussing highway travel, figuring that I'm not going slower than 60mph, if I could manage a 6500 watts rated genset to power me on the highway at that speed without depleating my batteries on the way, I want to know what setup would get me 108wh/mile at 60mph or even 130wh/mile at 50mph because that would be the electric car of my dreams. ...if I were to get 200 or less wh/mile at 60mph(this number makes math easier)like I'm sure I would, I'm still depleting the pack at about half the usual rate considering 12kw consumed and 6.5kw going to a charger which will have its own losses. ...so 100 miles, use half of the energy from the battery while half comes from a genset, I'm still likely going to have to stop for a little bit on the way to Madison to let things catch up. ...maybe not a long time but a 6500watt generator would be overkill on side roads but not on the highway. It should provide a good proportion of power, arrive with your pack used and the generator under load. ...maybe past its efficiency point but on a rare trip to show off an electric car, it's not ideal financially unless I already had the generator or was planning to buy it for more than one purpose(I'm actually looking to get the 3000watt one but that wouldn't be big enough for this but bigger than I need for home use to run the furnace and refrigerator), probably cheaper to tow the car than try to set things up to get this to work. More of the principle or hobby nature of it I suppose. I probably wouldn't have the motivation to do it unless a small fortune landed on my lap with a note attached saying to dedicate it to the cause. ...so, theories, thoughts, strange fading dreams that seem to make sense until you've woken up.