View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #200 (permalink)
GeneralAnarchy
EcoModding Lurker

I found on Enginer's site: Technologies from Enginer.us | Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) Conversion Kit
"Two assembled battery packs replacing previous 32 individual cells, with quick connections to other components"

There is also a post on Priuschat that suggests this new design is aimed at eventually accomodating 6kWh in the enclosure. The specification sheet I got with the batteries says capacity is 80aH, which sounds about right for 4kWh. I am mostly going to use this on the highway to assist the ICE, so I might just wire the EV and PHEV together as Enginer designed it. Considering primarily highway use, is there any problem or annoyances with EV "switched on" all the time or any reason I really would want a separate EV switch? Maybe I can try EV mode just for fun, but mainly I just want the kit to assist highway drives as long as possible because I'm going to deplete it daily anyway and might as well do that as efficiently as possible.

In a way I am regreting not buying another 2kWh to make 6kWh, then again it's more weight. I was expecting 120 lb. batteries not a mere 94 lb., so maybe these are a bit lighter?