View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I read the SAE book that covered among other things, spark plugs, where they tested all the styles that were available to them and it basically comes down to the standard style of spark plug is works well for the shape of combustion chamber that most cars have, including Honda's and that Copper core spark plugs are only out done by silver core spark plugs and that platinum tipped is only good if you neglect your car and only want to change spark plugs every 100,000 miles.
Sparks jump from sharp edges so the NGK V-power plugs are what I have settled with after trying the Botch +4, Pulstar plug, platinum tipped plugs and the NGK v-power plugs changed every 15,000 miles seem to work best.
Honda used to recommend straight 10W30 engine oil in the manual transmision, do not use any sulpher based gear oils as they will destroy the bushings, they still say that if you can not get their transmision fluid to use 5w 30 or 10w 30 motor oil, amsoil MTF is to thin from what I can tell but their 0W 30 motor oil works great, 0w 20 should work well as well in the transmision.
In my civic VX I run 0w 30 motor oil and have had it work great, I change it once a year and use a good quality filter.
Only other thing to really keep an eye on is that the timing belt is good for 100,000 miles and the water pump costs an extra $30 to change at the same time as the timing belt.
If you live in an area with rust then look at your rear wheel wells were the bumper meets the fender, clean that out and rust proof it, under coating works well for this.