View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #22 (permalink)
DamageX
EcoModding Lurker

I`m doing pretty well on electricity, about 150KWh per month. Ever since I got this laptop I haven`t been using my other computers much, and with this ULV Pentium M CPU the power consumption is very low. There is a switch, access point, modem, and another Pentium M -based mini-ITX PC that run all the time. And a silly cable box, which I tried unplugging when I wasn`t watching TV but it would take quite some time to "reboot" when I did need it, and after a short while it stopped working entirely. So after I went and got a replacement I decided to let that one alone. Lighting is mostly CFLs.

There is of course a refrigerator, which is probably responsible for a good portion of the electricity usage. I heard that top-opening units are more efficient, since all the cold air doesn`t roll out when the door is opened. But I just bought a new refrigerator of the usual type about two years ago so I`m not itching to replace it right away.

So during June-Sept. I had the lowest bills, of about $50, with $23 of that being fixed delivery charges.

In Dec.-Feb. the bill spikes to about $170 because of heating (and that is with the thermostat set to 64 F). I have a 93% eff. natural gas furnace, but insulation was sparse (I guess heating was cheap back in the `50s). I just finished adding some insulation throughout my attic so hopefully the cost will improve this winter.