View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lazarus
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrowning View Post
I drive an 06 model of this car with the 3.5 engine and the tires at 40PSI. My commute is 55 miles (all highway) each way and generally get 32 unless I run the A/C in the morning to keep the fog off the inside of the windows. BEWARE, this car will out coast most cars and it is REAL easy to overtake someone faster than expected.

Unfortunately the first 10-15 miles really kills your MPG, I'm not sure if it is in "rich" mode or just what but it doesn't seem to be temp induced, 80F afternoons are as bad as 60F mornings for the first 10 miles or so.

PS: If you find some descent seats please let me know. My Chiropractor is almost done with the new addition to his house.
That funny I was thinking the same thing about the seats after only 2 hours on the drive down. I think your comments some it up nicely. The coolant temps seem to come up quickly but even with it in the normal range it takes a while for the FE to get going.

I'm surprised how hard it is to pull good numbers out of this car. With it's coasting abilities I would think 40 MPG would be doable but I'm not even close. I was surprised when I got in crawl traffic on the interstate that it's has good FE from 20-35 mph with the coasting abilities. If you did not have to accelerate it would do great. It appears that just punching it seems to be the best method. I either get 7 MPG with hard or 13 MPG with easy acceleration. The AC just kills the mileage. Cruising and turning it on and off see a difference of about 12 MPG on the instantaneous meter. Who knows if that accurate.