View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #259 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
We tried but you refuse to accept our advice.

Reread this long thread and see what you missed, or chose to ignore.

Brazil went to high concentrations of ethanol after the first energy crises.

Gasoline was originally a waste byproduct of kerosene production.

Get a diesel. Got to be cheaper than paying insurance, taxes and maintenance on 10 vehicles.

My buddy used to race go-karts with highly modified B&S motors, using pure alcohol. He told me something that I remember. The engine was actually just warm to the touch after the race but the exhaust would burn you badly.

That's the different combustion characteristics you describe.

If you insist on driving cars that were not designed for ethanol, even in small percentages, then you will have to make changes in their fuel delivery systems to accommodate the ethanol.

In Virginia when the change happened (100% switch over) the gas stations had to close down and have their storage tanks flushed to remove the accumulated garbage from decades of leaded, the unleaded gasoline. Ethanol, once the transition was complete virtually eliminated fuel filter replacement here.

Maybe where you live they tried to do it the cheap way, and caused all of your fuel pump problems, flushing the garbage into the customers cars.

Bottom line, here is was totally obvious to everyone when it happened and clearly identified on every pump. We did have some problems with higher concentrations of ethanol, in one case 18% or more.

I am easily beating EPA on our mix here, in my two bikes.

I tend to work to find solutions to problems, and don't see any progress to that goal with endless caustic argumentative postings.

You have the information to make decisions to solve your problem. As they say around here "use it or lose it".

If I were you I would try both.

good bye
Mech