View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Volones
EcoModding Lurker

I'm curious about a "nitrous" style engine kill button

In order to facilitate EOC without interrupting speedometer/odometer functionality, I would like to install a push button switch that cut the power to the distributor/coil so the engine would just die. I remember someone doing this, but couldn't find the thread in a search.

I think it would be easiest to do with:
1 - push button shift knob (sold most often to the nitrous injecting crowd)
1 - relay that can handle the voltage/current that controls the ignition circuit
assorted wires and connectors to connect said parts

I found a knob that has a cover on the top of the shifter with a button under it which I think would be best since my wife would freak out if she accidentally turned the engine off while driving. If that knob can be wired to control the relay to interrupt the ignition system, it should be a pretty clean looking mod.

Can someone please advise me about the best location to put a relay to interrupt the ignition system, and what size of relay would be necessary? I would use a relay if the voltage/current was too high to run through a little push button switch, but if not, then the relay would be unnecessary and I could just splice the switch into the ignition wiring and push the button to interrupt the circuit (with a normally closed button switch of course). I don't want a flip-type switch as I would forget to switch it back on.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Vol!

*Time period is from 1 January 2006 - 1 March 2007*