View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #278 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
You would think ecomodders would try to take advantage of the benefits of ethanol.
So they put ALLL that effort into just bringing the engine almost equal than regular fuels.

when if they would simply STOP using ethanol they could already GET that performance without spending a penny?

Part of ecomodding is saving money. You can't save money if you have to redesign/rebuild/rebuy just to compensate for what is a "bad fuel"

at least no one has yet shown me it is anything but a bad fuel. it pollutes more it costs more it uses more it increases dependency. all of these are ecomodding NONO's

NO by the wording I am getting this is likely propoganda or total BS but I sent a message to Poet the people pushing ethanol here in the US.

they tell me they have data showing IMPROVED fuel economy on "unimproved" gasoline engine vehicles on E30. that is chemically impossible to the best of my knowledge.

BUT they claim its possible its bad gasoline causing my problem (I note I drove out to texas no improvement on E10 out to Colorado No improvement on E10 but those were one off trips so anythings possible)

they say some gas companies use really low quality gas and depend on the Ethanol to boost the octane or have bad storage ie water contamination and that this could be causing my fuel economy problems.

this makes sense to a point but is countered by why is it consistent? if it was bad gas or bad storage I should see a dramatic swing in results as I went from place to place or brand to brand. I don't but its still a valid consideration.

Ie there a way to test for water content? is there a way to test for bad gas?