View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #45 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Slowmover - Keep in mind, a diesel will use less fuel at idle than a similarly sized gas engine. My Jeep burns at least 1 gph at idle, which is brutal in stop and go traffic. Range is still reasonable, however, with the 23 gallon tank.
In some scenarios.

The one contemplated would be May-November and a conservative number is needed when one is on high idle (above 1,100 rpm versus the usual 750-rpm) and A/C is constant. If I have but X-gallons, how far can I get (with a reserve) before needing to re-fuel.

You might be surprised to see how difficult it is to reach -- on ANY vehicle -- 150 miles in traffic averaging 3-5 mph. I've collected quite a few stories from others evacuating ahead of Hurricane Rita (and Ike). One can sit within the same measured mile for hours at a time.

So I use 1-gph for minimum fuel use. If, indeed, it is 3/4-gph then all to the better. But I'm not likely to try to simulate this, nor is there any way to anticipate the potential problems in full. Thus the high (conservative) number (I simply hope it is high enough). Thanks for the reminder.