View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #289 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Sure frank. if you DESIGN the engine specifically for ethanol then SURE with its naturally higher octane and the ability to handle higher compressions then YES just like DIESELS you may be able to extract a higher efficiency than you can from a gasoline engine.

you going to buy the new E85 tuned vehicle for me?

I am not saying we should get RID OF Ethanol. I am saying it should be OPTIONAL. a pump for E10 and a Pump for E0 so those of us (millions and millions and millions of us) with cars that run like CRAP on the stuff don't have to use it.

that is my core problem. FORCING me to use it and FORCING me to pay thousands more in fuel costs because of it not to speak of repair costs.

even if not different pumps LET GAS STATIONS CHOOSE if they wish to use ethanol (right not most do NOT have a choice they by law MUST use Ethanol)

I will gladly pay 10cents a gallon more for E0 and I would still save money.

In fact I think I mentioned this already but Ethanol is the REASON I bought the geo metro.

Ethanol raised my operating costs for my minivan by $1643 a year just in fuel. I simply could NOT afford to spend an extra $1643 a year in gasoline so I had to get something better. Then I found the metro and was able to work out a deal with him. (and now I am looking for a second metro so I have a backup) since if the metro broke and I had to go back to driving the jeep or the minivan I would spend more money than the cost of another metro inside of 4 months just in extra gas !!!

My minivan got 28mpg thats $3757 in gas a year now at 19.5 (average) thats $5394 a year in fuel for the year or $1643 more per year (at today's price) So I had no choice but to find something with much better FE.

Last edited by Nerys; 10-19-2010 at 06:07 PM..