Thread: 'allo all
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
As a way of looking at yet another "increase my mileage thread" maybe the OP would have an interest in approaching this via record-keeping as a businessman by separating those miles from personal miles. The use is likely different, and, as he is not a commuter (that I am aware), it would single out a small truck as multi-purpose vehicle (as comes up in other threads) for the separation (if possible) would reveal more about the utility of a truck for the rest of us. It isn't THAT great a difference (with, say, an MPGuino if I understand that device) as miles logged for IRS deduction are essentially work days, and week-ends are personal.

Maybe fillup on Fridays, and record mileage again on Monday morning?

If the OP hasn't seen it, then there is info around here about using screen material instead of coroplast or aluminum sheet as bellypan material. Living on the coast -- with an interest in historical homes -- I have priced bronze and other screening material . . there would seem to be a big set of choices about what constitutes screen. (And, since America is No.1 in imprisoning our fellow citizens, we also lead in all sorts of security screening). Might be something cool and worthwhile there too.

Front air dam of proper length and belly-screen mpg improvements for non-business miles versus business miles would be my low cost suggestion on a quite old business vehicle.

Subsidized fuel really, really changes the cost of ownership as the miles accumulate so quickly. But is misleading for comparing to "personal" miles as what is "paid to the truck" is often mistakenly used as "paid to the driver" (overhead versus income). Mpg improvements -- as a percentage -- are actually quite small in re profit/income due to this subsidization.

For those of us who look to trucks as single, do-it-all vehicles, the further record keeping and analysis would pay forward to the OP's next truck, and illuminate the value of a truck for non-business owners in a particular light (small trucks being popular around here).

If the OP is so disposed.