Thread: rear diffuser
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrio. View Post
trebuchet, thankyou for your exhamples.

In my case, I reserch only drag reduction, all my work its focuses they.
Cases A and B of diagram above posted by me, says that the best angle for drag reduction is from 2 and 4 degrees, I know that the reserce of diagram its realative at model with flat underbody, with or widhout wheels I do not know, the height from ground , I do not know.
I know, that some aerodynamic cars like the Loremo, Bionic by mercedes, Opel G90 and more others cars, they have diffusers angle whit more 7° degree.
I think, that optimal angle of diffuser depend also by inclination roof, rearwindow and declidt...corrected ?
It is possible, that the optimal diffusor angle, depend also by point of intersecation of upper flow with the under car flow? may be, that the intersecation point of two flow, it must at the centre of car in according with the front stagnation point?
For our cars, I don't think flow interaction from the top and bottom are significant - because our cars are bluff bodies. For very streamlined shapes, yes - that will be a bigger concern. But, in my opinion, most of the losses for that section of our cars are due to wake rather than intersecting flow regions... That's just a guess - testing/analysis would be really useful here.

It's actually a good idea to look at other cars with diffusers to see what they have. Being that they're cars, they'll have a similar (at least somewhat comparable) ride height and a comparable height to length ratio.