View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
New personal best (again) 40MPG!

Man, this place rocks. Two months ago I would have been thrilled to get 34mpg out of my little RSX-S, but thanks to my addictive personality, obsessive compulsive disorder, and the incredible wealth of knowledge this place has to offer, I just had my first 40mpg tank!

My focus this tank was to really concentrate on my climbing. Since I think I've done about as well as possible for my morning downhill commute, it seemed like the obvious next step. So, cue the momentum retaining strategy, hitting the bottom of the climb with a bit of extra speed, gradually backing out of the accelerator as the climb progresses. Admittedly, I still love to have fun while driving and there were numerous WOT accelerations to 70-90mph just because I can. Yes, there was that one surge up the 6.5% grade on the backside of Floyd Hill where I passed other cars at 90+mph and watched my MPG hover around 10.5 for a couple minutes. But otherwise, I really, really did try to behave myself this tank. Barring a few ego-induced moments, I'm really learning to drive.

Thanks everyone!