View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #55 (permalink)
usergone
I have to start over?

Big inefficient truck - '94 Dodge Ram 2500
90 day: 12.1 mpg (US)

Honda Civic - '84 Honda Civic DX Hatchback
I cut the carriage bolts to the same length, and welded them on the opposite sides of the driveshaft (as best I could tell) and have not noticed any weird vibration.

NOTE: I didn't say I didn't notice vibration. If my jeep stopped shaking and vibrating and got real quiet on the road, I would be scared.

As far as the welding, the welds didn't get hot enough because I was afraid of melting stuff in the transmission or the U-joint right there.

I don't even remember what PPM I have it at, but I figured it out by pushing the jeep until I saw a pulse (the beginning of a pulse, that is), and marking the road right where that was. Then I pushed the jeep until I saw the beginning of another pulse, and marked the road there. That will get you the distance between pulses, and with a bit of math, you can get pulses/mile.

I think that I also calibrated it further by comparing the speed according to my MPGuino to the speed shown on my GPS. Then use a formula similar to the one for calibrating the gas consumption. I believe it would be something like: (MPGuino speed/GPS speed)*current ppm value = new ppm value (I think that is right, but you may need to switch the MPGuino speed and gps speed)