View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #217 (permalink)
Zerohour
Master EcoModder

Pooparu - '01 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 28.12 mpg (US)

Cop Car - '94 Chevy Caprice Interceptor 9C1
Last 3: 18.48 mpg (US)

Mini - '11 Mini Cooper
90 day: 37.63 mpg (US)

Gramps - '95 Subaru Legacy Postal
90 day: 23.18 mpg (US)
So the Mobil 1 Synthetic in in the trans pan and new filters are installed.

I got 6 quarts out of the trans with a 9.8 quart capacity. So the fluid is more or less 60% synthetic. A simple drain and refill would yield about 4-4.5 quarts. Thought about doing an additional flush, but I don't think its worth it for another $40. But I'll swap out synthetic with more synthetic at the 30K interval.

Initial reports, it doesn't shift any different. So thats pretty much a good thing. LoL When most people reports improvement on the trans shifts after fluid its due to bad fluid and excessive wear. I had very little debre in the bottom of the pan. There was alot stuck on the magnet, and everything had a light layer of grime. So it was due, but not gone! So I got it changed at a good time.

I am interested to see if the fluid reacts differently in the morning. But I won't know till tomorrow's commute. I'll post back the results then.

Also, my Subaru outback/legacy manual states my power steering unit uses Dexcron II/III ATF fluid. I have extra left over from the change, and I seriously considering swapping this out as well. If the ATF fluid causes FE loss in the cold, then the PS pump is lugging that motor as well. So the switch to the syn ATF might get more a little be more at cold start-up's!