Thread: Cooled EGR
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I left the car at the shop this morning, tomorrow afternoon I should know if it still works with the EGR cooler installed I keep thinking about whether it'll help with warm-up, since the ECU may not open the EGR valve when the engine is cold (condensation). We'll see. I plan to hook up a voltometer to the EGR valve one day to see under what conditions the ECU opens it and by how much (yes, my EGR valve has more positions than just open/closed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec-e View Post
I read somewhere (might have been the tdi club) that the coolers are prone to filling up with soot or tar over time. The intake filled up on mine over time too due to the gases condensing in the intake and settling in it as a thick sticky tar.
Yeah, those skinny tubes inside mean a lot of surface area to exchange heat, but also a lot of area to acquire soot and tar. The cooler I bought was made in 2008, but I gave it a long bath in gasoline to clean it out (at least partially) since it already had some sooty gunk inside (the pictures in post #2 were taken after cleaning). I also asked the mechanic to clean out the EGR valve while installing the cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec-e View Post
It must also be pointed out that egr reduces NOx only. It apparently raises everything else a little....go figure why something would be invented that fixes one problem but makes a load more worse!
Raising everything else a little may be worth lowering NOx, since the cat and DPF should take care of the rest.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread