View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tired2
EcoModding Lurker

I am working on a few solutions to this problem... a computer is not always the best option.

I have started an implentation for a motor controller loosely based off the Open ReVolt, but using the Parallax Propeller Microcontroller in place of the dsPic that runs the revolt. I'll explain why later on, but basically I don't want to learn PIC, and I like a LOT of things about how the Propeller works.

The most important one in this respect is its ability to output color composite video, with basic graphics support. It could easily be used to graph in "realtime", or just show status, guages, etc on an "Atari" like quality. It will also output VGA at decent resolutions... all without any external components... just a few resistors. In my controller, I may not utilize this, but it would be easy to add items like this for custom controllers.

For the OpenRevolt, I would suggest you develop an additional piece of hardware that sits on the CAN interface and spends its time drawing pretty pictures for a dash mounted LCD, either composite or VGA. Think of it like RTD Explorer implemented in about $15 of hardware, in a modular add-on system. It would talk with the BMS, Controller, etc. I'll make it if I get the time and there is interest. Add an SD Card and you get bitmap graphical splash screens!

I would also want to add a mode to reverse the display to test out some cool reflection head's up display

Touch screen support and/or hard buttons are easy to work out also for a menu driven "information center"
The Following User Says Thank You to Tired2 For This Useful Post:
mrbigh (11-18-2010)