View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
SuzukiSteve
EcoModding Lurker

Steve's Suzuki - '00 Suzuki Swift GA
Team Metro
90 day: 51.99 mpg (US)
Arduino alternative?

I am set on making my own MPGuino. The price on a pre-made one is fantastic but making one would be fun and i really want to mount the screen in the gauge cluster and the buttons on the dash.

I've been researching for a while and I'm almost ready to order parts. I found a red letter black background screen for $7 delivered on ebay (red matches my car). I plan on buying the resistors, diodes, buttons, etc locally.

I cant decide what Arduino to get though. I found a kit, also on ebay, for the Arduino Duemilanove Atmega328 for $22.58 delivered. SparkFun has an assembled Arduino for about $30 delivered that is tempting. How difficult is soldering it together? Im decent at soldering but have never attempted something this small or sensitive. I also found something called an Anarduino (kit) for $9.23 delived. It looks similiar to the iDuino.

Anarduino - an Arduino Clone ATmega328 Kit - NEW - eBay (item 170556448515 end time Oct-28-10 14:50:48 PDT)

I searched ecomodder and couldn't find anything on the Anarduino. Has anybody else used the anarduino? Does anybody see a reason why it would not work? Any better places to buy a kit? It doesn't have a USB or serial hook up but I think I can wire that in...? Any help is greatly appreciated.