View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #3918 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Anyone using battery fuses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter View Post
The batteries are flooded Exide Nautilus type.
The batteries quickly gave off a smell of rotting eggs once the IGBTs blew. Acid/water sprayed all over the battery box.
I read through the posts, but didn't catch what your maximum current draw was expected to be. I don't know where all those amps went, but to boil the electrolyte in 1/3 of a second, it sure went there FAST! 156V to 80V in 0.33 seconds, 12V to 6V on the batteries. There had to be a dead short there, or as close as the small resistance on the connections would allow.

Fuses above 250 Amps seem expensive, but not compared to the devices they protect. The commercial and industrial controller/inverter designs that I've seen (read taken apart because they failed) ALL have fusing. I know that the current-limiting hardware was intended to be better and faster than a fuse could be, but can you REALLY be too paranoid?

There was a mention of Electrical safety standards, Arc-flash, and NFPA 70E in one of the other threads. One of the easiest ways to limit the current (and the arc-flash) is to put in a fast-acting fuse. This is not specific to DC, but a DC arc does not stop by itself. The DC Arc, once it starts, keeps making gases and plasma until the something stops the current or all of the metal connections have changed from solid to gas (at least, that's the working theory last time I checked)

Has anyone installed DC fuses before the ReVolt? (or any of the other controllers, I guess)

thingstodo